Thursday, April 18, 2019

Chapter 58

"We had to cancel the show." Richie said into the phone to Sarah.
"Did they figure out what's wrong with him?" She asked him in return.
"Appendicitis." Richie replied. "They'll have to do surgery. I'm not sure how soon, he'll need to stay in the hospital."
"Probably a week at least." Sarah replied. "What about the other shows you guys have?"
Richie shrugged, not much had been discussed. "I'm not sure either. We haven't figured anything out yet."
"What happened?"
Richie thought for a second. "We were doing soundcheck and he didn't look well at all but he said he was fine but then an hour ago he went to the hospital. At least they were fast in diagnosing.'" He said. "I'm not even sure what's happening. We all went back to the hotel after we cancelled the show."
There was a knock at the door as Sarah spoke again. "I hope Tico will be alright."
"I'm sure he will be." Richie got up from the bed and walked over to the door. "He's at a private hospital so nothing sketchy." He removed the chain off the door and opened it up to see Jon.
"That's good."
"Hey baby, I have to go. Is it okay if I call you back later?"

He let Jon into the room and followed him back to the seating area by the window where he joined him in the chairs around the table. After years of friendship, he didn't have to ask Jon if anything was bothering him anymore, he would know.

"What are you thinking?" He asked, getting straight to the point and to Jon's thoughts.
Jon sighed. "I hate cancelling shows."
"I know."
"We need a drummer, we can't play without a drummer."
"I know."
"I could play guitar and sing but I can't drum and sing."
"I know."
"You're so helpful right now."
"I know." Richie smiled.
"Fuck off."
Jon's reaction made him chuckle. "What do you want me to do?" He offered his help.
Jon shrugged. "We'll stay here tomorrow because I don't want to leave Tico here alone, that's not cool."
Richie nodded, he agreed to that. "Yeah, don't want to ditch him. We'll do the other shows then?"
"Yeah, and we can reschedule these ones." Jon said.
"Sounds good. When can they reschedule us?"
"I haven't figured that out yet."
Richie frowned, everything had gone so fast, they hadn't had much time yet to figure anything out. "So," he hesitated, going back to his previous question, "what do you want me to do?"
Jon sighed, thinking everything over. "Find me a replacement drummer?"
"Alright." Richie accepted his task easily.
Jon looked over at him, frowning.
"What? I said I wanted to help you out with managing stuff and I know some drummers."
"By Friday?"
Richie nodded, sure of himself.
"Who?" Jon asked weary.
Richie laughed at his worry. "Rich Scanella man."
Finally Jon clued in. "Oh." He exclaimed.
"Don't worry, I'll set it up. You worry about other stuff."

Not much later he was alone in his hotel room again in the middle of Argentina making his phone calls and arranging transportation.

He was glad he was able to help Jon out with something related to the band instead of letting Jon deal with it himself even though this was a very easy solution. That was the benefit of playing some solo concerts as well, they learned to play with different musicians and who better to get than someone Jon had played with on several more private occasions as Jon Bon Jovi and the Kings of Suburbia? Personally, he thought he was pretty smart for thinking of it as Jon had obviously not. Richie had not met Jon's drummer but he knew of him, the man was pretty good. Nothing would be as good as Tico but he would be a close second that already knew all the songs as well.

Once everything was in place and he was sure they'd meet Rich on Friday for their next concert, he called Sarah back.

1 comment: